feedburner
Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

feedburner count

Keeping the Blogging Fires Burning


Bryce from A Bite of Sanity asked me about how one might continue to care about blogging once the fires have dimmed a bit. I’m not sure of Bryce’s specific circumstances, but I will tell you about how I keep up such a prolific schedule of blogging and give you some tips on how to keep it moving.

Write for Your Audience

I write every post as if I’m telling you something that I hope will be useful. If I were writing just to please myself, that’s easier to stop doing. I write with you in mind, and that keeps me motivated to give you more quality and a certain level of quantity, too.

Writers are Readers

Read constantly. I blaze through over 1000 blog posts a day. I don’t read them all, but I process about 1000. How? Quickly. I skim through, find points that interest me, and then REALLY read the ones that matter to me. Along the way, I hit Shift-S in Google Reader and share them on my feed with you.

The point is, the more I read, the more I’m exposed to good ideas. Ditto with podcasts. I heard four blog posts in the most recent episode of This Week in Tech.

Keep a Text File of Topics

I’m stumped from time to time on what to write next, and then, at other times, I can churn out 100 blog topics for a single post (most comments and trackbacks to date on that post, by the way). But having a text file I can open and peruse gives me plenty of material to choose from. Mix this with my first point about writing for the people who matter to me, and I’m fairly well-managed.

See What Mainstream Magazines Do

Disclosure: I’m stealing this tip from Brian Clark at Copyblogger. He does these posts where he dissects an issue of a popular mainstream mag and then shares how you might translate those article titles into blogging topics.

If It’s Because You’re Feeling Unheard

That’s another matter altogether. One way to get heard is to be relevant. I say this to people all the time when they complain that no one reads their blog. Relevant to whom is an important point, by the way. What matters to me isn’t what matters to others. But if you find the people who you think will love your stuff, keep writing ( podcasting, whatevering) to THAT group, because they’re like minded.

And other ways to be heard are to encourage the conversation in other places, including reposting your RSS feed to your various social networks (the old “use networks like Facebook as outposts” trick), and inviting people in to comment and/or guest post.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Clicky Web Analytics